They are small yellowish or golden insects, insects with narrow wings fringed with long hairs. They are not attracted by light, so they remain in dark, making us unable to recognized. They feed on fabrics, carpets, furs. rags, woollen fabrics, stored clothing and blankets, etc. They harmless to human but causes materialistic damages. We can find them specially during springs and in fact around the year. Carpet Beetle also comes under them as they are found in carpets.
Types Of Moth
- Case making - Adults measure up to 14 mm from wing tip to wing tip and both wings are long and narrow. The body and wings are buff to golden color with brownish tinge, except for 3 dark spots on each wing.
- Webbing - Adults measure up to 12 mm from wing tip to wing tip. Both wings are long and narrow. Wings and body are uniformly buff/golden color except for a tuft of reddish setae (hairs) on the top of the head.
Life Cycle Of Moth
These insects lay their eggs in any corner of the room like clothes, upholstery, rugs or carpet, toys, animal skins or trophies, and even natural-bristle brushes. As soon as the eggs hatch, the larvae begin to feed on animal-based materials: silk, wool, feathers, and leather. They also have been known to eat fabrics blended with wool and items soiled with food stains or body oils.
Adult clothes moths are about 1/2 inch long and light tan in color. They have narrow wings and prefer darkness.
Damages By Cloth Moth
Cloth moth has no harmful effect on human but damages fabrics specially animal based.
Control & Prevention Tips
- Use naphthalene balls to store fabrics.
- Keep Neem, Eucalyptus & Basil leaves in the wardrobe to prevent these moths.
- Clothes, upholstery, rugs or carpets must be cleaned regularly.
- Regularly mop the floor.
- Contact a pest control company as soon as you spot moth as it could have a gang behind it.